Monday, May 31, 2010

I Got Thumped

Have you ever found yourself going through life on auto pilot or rushing through every minute of the day or just plain crabby and then something happens to make you realize how good you've got it? Or how amazing this world truly is?

My co-worker calls that "getting thumped." God sees you taking everything for granted or throwing yourself a pity party and gives you a big ol' "thump." Hey, open your eyes! SLOW DOWN! Maybe even smile a little bit.

Well I've been getting thumped a lot lately. It's a particular kind of thump. The kind that reminds me how GOOD people are.

This whole adoption thing has made me interact with people I never would have met otherwise and in ways I never would have dreamed (like discussing my infertility with the Fed-Ex man, for example.) Over and over I find myself touched by how perfect strangers are willing to go the extra mile to help us find our baby.

Just a few examples:
  • A college student at St.Olaf offered to make extra copies of our flier, consult with his boss, and hang them every possible place he could think of. On his own time.
  • An acquaintance of mine from high school owns a store and offered to put a pile of fliers by his cash register. We haven't talked for 10 years, and rarely crossed paths even before then.
  • Several people have posted our information in their personal blogs. Some of these people I have never met and probably never will.
  • A waitress at Fitgers in Duluth saw Jonathan hang up our flier and came to our aid. She said he had put it at "hip level" and it would be destroyed by the many servers walking in and out of the kitchen. So she took a new one, dug up some industrial strength packing tape and completely laminated it to the wall. It might peel off the paint when it's time to take it down.

And those are just people we don't know! I can't even BEGIN to list all the ways our friends and family continue to love and support us. I feel like I go through every day wrapped in a giant bubble of prayers, love, and positive thoughts.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I've never heard of being "thumped" before, but that's a really good word for it! Whenever I start feeling sorry for myself or stressing about things out of my control, I try to step back & remember how lucky I am (so... thump myself, I guess).

Also, I put in a plug for you guys at the cabin this weekend.