Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Baby Class

If you ask a woman dealing with infertility whether she would rather spend three hours in:

A. A room full of glowing pregnant women or
B. A pirhana infested bathtub,

... she would probably help you draw the bath.

Okay, now that I've shocked you with my bitterness, we can continue on with the story. =)

Our adoption agency recommended that we attend some sort of "Caring For Your Newborn" class through a hospital or clinic. So, that's what we did. We specifically chose the after-the-baby-is-born class since the labor and delivery part obviously does not pertain to us.

I started to become nervous a few hours before the class started, which surprised me. Up until that point, I had been looking forward to the class as a way to learn some baby basics. But as the class grew closer, I really considered the fact that I would be the only non-pregnant female in the room. Awesome. I briefly fantasized about stuffing a pillow in my shirt. (I even decided which pillow I would use, people.)

Well, my fears were only half-confirmed. I was the only non-pregnant, non-male person in the room. But, I only got one comment ("YOU are pregnant?! You look fantastic!") and they didn't make me wear a t-shirt saying "INFERTILE" and sit on a stool in front of the class. Whew!

All jokes aside, it was surprisingly hard for me but very valuable for both of us (we got to practice swaddling, diapering to avoid the umbilical cord, and the "football hold"). Not that we'll remember any of it when there's an actual baby involved! I suppose that's where the "trial by fire" and "learning on the job" thing comes in.... =)

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Haha--piranhas! It comforts me to see that you're actually human. Of COURSE you will have feelings of sadness, anger, and even jealousy. I can't imagine that when faced with infertility, I could ever muster the grace and patience that you have demonstrated throughout this process. I'm so proud of you, and hope you know that you're allowed to be PISSED OFF if you want...I wish you didn't have to experience the pain of infertility. I've been thinking of you guys lots and saying my prayers every night that you will find your baby soon.

Unknown said...

I love how you write. I love you.