Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Adoption Brain

Pregnancy brain. Wisegeek.com defines the phenomenon in the following way:

"Pregnancy
brain is a condition that affects expectant mothers, usually during the first and third trimesters. Sometimes known as placenta brain or baby brain drain, the condition is usually characterized by short-term memory loss or forgetfulness."

I'd like to propose the existence of Adoption Brain. Symptoms present in a similar manner to pregnancy brain; forgetful, absent-minded, distracted, flaky. You may suffer from a serious case of Adoption Brain if you have done any or all of the following within a one week period:

* Poured orange juice on your cereal
* Stood in the shower, unable to remember for the life of you if you've washed your hair yet
* Left the wrong phone number in a voicemail to a colleague because you've suddenly blanked on the number you've had for the past 600+ days.
* Said "Good boy!" to your computer when it booted up with no problems

I'm sure I've never done any of these things, but if I had, I would definitely blame it on Adoption Brain.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Tee hee! Thanks for the laugh! The "Good boy" one definitely had me chuckling. My pregnancy brain led me to light a kitchen towel on fire so I must warn you to be CAREFUL while making dinner!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I left a really REALLY dumb message on a professor's VM while in college (so obviously, not pregnant. Just spacey) which ended in me trying in vain to remember my phone number. "Ummmm uhh, it's 612, no 763, uh..." I still cringe.
-
Betsy

Unknown said...

Or maybe it's just genetic.
LOL MOM

Anonymous said...

Speaking from experience I'd say it's end of the year teacheritis. Just too much to do, and too much on your mind. Let the countdown to summer vacation begin!!!!
Cheryl