Sunday, October 3, 2010

10 Things I've Grown to Love These Past Ten Weeks


1. Sleeping gowns. It is such a relief to not have to mess with snaps in the middle of the night.




2. CD of womb sounds. When Isaac was teeny tiny we could turn this on and he was instantly lulled to sleep. Well, some of the time.



3. Little Noses saline spray and nose sucker thingie. Isaac had his first cold early on and couldn't even eat because he was so stuffed up and felt like he was drowning. He still gets congested during the night sometimes, so we use these a lot.



4. Baby carrier. I used the Moby when he was tiny, but now I prefer the Baby Bjorn. I wear him hiking, to the dog park, shopping, and just around the house when he refuses to be put down but I have things I need to do.



5. Aden and Anais swaddling blankets. Love, love, love, love, LOVE these. They are the only swaddling blankets that actually fit him after he was one week old. Plus, they double as a great stroller cover when he falls asleep. Perfect breathable material for a summer baby who loves to be swaddled!



6. Baby tub with hammock. Slippery baby problem solved!



7. Vibrating chair. For the first 6 weeks of Isaac's life, this kept us sane. He LOVED it. We still take it everywhere with us, although the magic seems to have worn off.



8. Swaddle Me blankets. These keep my baby warm and cozy at night and prevent him from waking up by punching himself in the face. Also gave me great peace of mind because I was paranoid that the swaddling blankets would come undone, cover his face, and smother him.



9. Nuks. Oh how I love thee.



10. Netflix. I have discovered shows like Dexter, United States of Tara, and Dead Like Me through the wonder of Netflix. When you spend at least five hours a day feeding your baby, you have to have SOMETHING to do! Especially if he has reflux and has fussy feedings and you need two hands to make it a successful eating experience. =)

9 comments:

Crista said...

I'm making note of all the things to ask for! And who can resist such a great spokesmodel for these products. Isaac is adorable and smiley (well, except for the bath, but who likes baths!).

Anonymous said...

I love your list. And I love Dead Like Me!!!! One of shows. I wish it would have gone on past 2 seasons.

Anonymous said...

Meant to write one of my favorite shows. Geez, maybe I should look before I hit Publish My Comment :)

Me said...

I love this post. We have so many likes in common! I LOVE to swaddle Bryce...it calms him down so quickly. We have the same tub. Although he doesn't like baths much, the tub has worked well. I actually put him in the tub with me today and he loved it...first time he's enjoyed water - score! Glad to hear your feedback on the moby wrap. I still haven't used mine yet...just seems complicated. We got a baby b. at our sip and see party...I think we'll try it out this weekend. Hope all is going well for you!!! What is his weight now?

Becky said...

Rachel, the funny thing is that I didn't even notice you had skipped any words. You were just being efficient. =)

SassyIfLady, thanks for the tip about getting in the tub with your little guy! I haven't done that yet... I bet he'd love it! To answer your question, he weighed 14 lbs 4 oz 2 weeks ago (!!) so he's probably almost 15 lbs now.

About the Moby- I learned how to do it by watching a video on YouTube! Helped a lot. I stopped wearing it as he got bigger because I feel like it stretched out during each wearing session, so by the time the walk/hike is over... he's all cock-eyed or saggy. But, I had to wait until he could comfortably straddle the crotch part of the Bjorn because it's kind of wide. ALSO- the first Bjorn I had did NOT have a lower back strap. It was horrible! The "sport" version has worked best for me.

Anonymous said...

Where do you get those swaddling blankets? Ours are all flannel & I like the gauzey fabric of yours.
-Betsy

Misty said...

Becky -

Thanks for posting what I would call "A Few of Your Favorite Things." I really like it when new moms tell me what truly has worked for them. I added the Moby, sleeping gowns, and Swaddle Me blanket to my wish list (AKA: baby shower list).

Was the Moby hard to put on? I have heard that it can be challenging.

Misty

Misty said...

I just realized that you answered my question about the Moby in the previous post. :)

Becky said...

Betsy- We get the blankets at good old Target. They are more expensive than most, but we get so much use out of them I'd definitely say it's worth it.

Apparently baby boutiques carry Aden and Anais blankets too, but they are thicker and more expensive. I feel like thicker defeats the purpose...