Monday, October 11, 2010

The Moment We Knew

Obviously life has changed. I haven't slept for more than three hours in a row (and that only happened once. A blissful flukey nap) since July 20th. When I curl my hair I smell burning formula. I feel everything more intensely than ever before. It blows my mind that Jonathan and I are in charge of helping Isaac become a strong, compassionate, intelligent and (most importantly) happy person.

But with all of that said, I don't think it had really sunk in until this past Sunday night. Isaac was sleeping and Jonathan and I were watching the movie Hangover. We'd seen it before... pre-Isaac. Both of us thought it was funny, entertaining, etc, etc. Still do. But we noticed something completely different this time around, through the parent lens.

If you've seen it, do you remember the baby they find in a closet? And the baby waited until morning to cry? Remember how they carry the baby around in a front carrier all day and she's blissfully happy? Never needing to change positions or nap? And how they never feed her? And she's happy? And then they put an adult seat belt on her with no car seat? And leave her in the car alone with the windows cracked? And she watches bad guys bash their car in? I KNOW it's just a stupid movie, but I kept going back and forth between rolling my eyes ("Yeah right. THAT would never fly.") and wanting to reach into the tv and take care of this fake baby. And I wasn't the only one. Jonathan kept exclaiming over the way they were treating her. Realizing how different our movie experience was this time around, Jonathan said "Wow, it really is different when you have a kid!"

I guess you know it's for real when you watch a movie that's supposed to be about binge drinking, bachelor parties, and debauchery and all you can say is "But that poor baby!"

2 comments:

Me said...

I'm so totally right there with you. We are blissfully sleep deprived, that's for sure! And you're totally right - you see things through a completely different lens. For us, we also now use the words, pee, poop (which we call a blowout) and spit-up way too much and expect other people to be cool when we use those words! I hugged my hubs the other day and smelled old formula...I told him it's his new scent. haha...gross, but true! Take care!

Hagen's Hope said...

I love your blog! We are just starting the process and the agency you went through is actually one on the top of our list!!