Monday, August 16, 2010

Sweet Sentiment

Isaac and I had a lovely day at the farmer's market last week. After some serious taste-testing (me, not Isaac) we walked away with a homemade coconut barbecue sauce and a loaf of cranberry walnut bread.

Side note: We would have also had some vegetables (since that's the whole reason I go to the farmer's market) but I ran out of money. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until I had already chosen the perfect trays of veggies and the nice man had dumped them into a bag for me. When he said they accept checks, I was relieved. Until I noticed that I had used my last check a few days ago! I felt like a bit of an idiot. I guess I was REALLY not meant to eat any vegetables from his stand that week!

After leaving the farmer's market, we walked down the street to the local grocery store to get some dish soap. (You go through a lot of dish soap when you wash 40,000 bottles a day) Behind me in the checkout line was a rough-looking sort of man. He had the kind of facial hair you don't plan, but just get from just not shaving for a long time. He had on a dirty flannel shirt and sweat-stained hat. He was buying cigarettes and chewing tobacco. He glanced over at Isaac in his stroller and you could just see him melt. He said "Ohhhh, how old?" I said, "Two weeks today." He smiled and kept gazing adoringly at my little sleeping son. Then he said, "Remember this feeling."

Amen to that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really do join a great big club when you become a parent, don't you? And the club is made up of all sort of people you wouldn't suspect.

On a side note, this reminds me of a couple weeks back: Anders called me on his way home from work to tell me he'd bought a Cinderella VHS at a garage sale. I pictured him getting out of his big work truck, clothes grimey with sweat & dirt, ripped up work jeans, probably some safety sunglasses strapped draped around his neck. I'm sure the LAST thing the sellers thought he'd buy was a Disney movie. But little did they, know, he's part of the club.
-Betsy

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your site because I started thinking about pursuing domestic adoption and am so happy for you.

I don't know if this is any possibility for you, but something I thought I'd pursue if we did adopt was a Lact-Aid in order to breastfeed an adopted infant. Thought I'd just pass it along if you'd never heard of it. I know many women also require hormones from their doctors as well.

Again, so happy for you and am enjoying reading your story!

S and J said...

It is always amazing how a complete stranger can make you feel so great.... That was one of the best things I have read today :)J

Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

These are great moments...minus running out of money at the Farmer's Market. Which, by the way, totally happens to me all the time. And, I recently noticed that they added an ATM machine there...prob. for that very reason! Kind people come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds! Keep sharing stories! :-)

messyjessica said...

Hey Becky and Jonathan!

I finally found your blog... saw mention of one on Facebook, and then typed in some random words and got it! I hope it's ok if I follow it :)... Again, I am just so happy for you both and for little baby Isaac! You are all blessed!

Love,
Jess Gale