Sunday, July 18, 2010

How It Happened, Part 2

Okay, where were we? Ah yes, camping.

I'm pretty sure we had a fantastic time with our friends that weekend. I think we played cards, sat around the bonfire, made yummy food. Fun kinds of things. Here is proof:















But as you can imagine, my mind was a million miles away!

Sunday morning, we packed up and headed home. We promptly dropped all the camping gear in the basement (where it remained untouched and smelling of bonfire for the next six days) and threw together some pictures to bring with us to our meeting. After a quick trip to Target (thank goodness for one-hour photo developing) we had a little 36 page version of our life.

We met the birth mom (I'm going to call her L) and her parents at an Applebees. I was very nervous. My heart was beating fast and I kept wiping my hands on my skirt because they were really sweaty! Jonathan and I got to the restaurant before L and her family, so we waited in the entrance. Waited for people that we had never seen before. That was weird. Then a very cute pregnant girl walked in and we figured she was the one. =)

The next two hours were a strange mix of small talk, intense emotions, awkwardness, laughter, tears, caution, and hope. My oriental chicken wrap tasted like sawdust and I don't think I even touched my lemonade. We talked about everything from childhood camping trips to the fact that she wants us at the hospital when the baby is born (!!!).

We got in the car after the meeting and it felt surreal. Jonathan and I looked at each other with wide eyes. He started the car right away and I said "Don't you think we should just sit here for a minute...?" Jonathan said no, he needed to drive. As we drove, he mutilated a toothpick and I tapped my foot more vigorously than I've ever tapped before!

"So... is she choosing us, then??" We went over the conversation again and again, eventually coming to the conclusion that... yes? She probably was choosing us? She had never explicitly stated that, though...

Even though everything was still up in the air at that point, we left feeling great about the meeting, L, and her family. (I'll tell you more about her later, because she's wonderful.) And so began the next kind of waiting. Are we the ones?! Does she want us to rock her little boy to sleep and take him to t-ball games and teach him to drive? Is she choosing us?!

5 comments:

Kristi B said...

Wow, wow, wow to you too! Sounds like a great start!! Can't wait to hear more!!!

Me said...

What a good meeting. I'm nervous about our match meeting when we're picked too, but it sounds like yours went well. I can't wait to hear more!!! You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Crista said...

I've been crying tears of joy with you. I hope all of you are doing well, and I look forward to hearing more of the story.

S and J said...

Congratulations....... I am looking forward to reading more on the progress and hope all goes well. :) J

Mrs H said...

Same boat...different initial.... I'm not 100%sure either..but I think we're "having" a baby!