Saturday, July 17, 2010

How It Happened, Part 1

As you know from my last delirious post, we are going to be parents any day now! Here's how it happened:

Saturday morning, Jonathan, Cody, and I headed north for a one-night camping trip with friends. An hour-and-a-half into the drive, my phone rang. When I answered the phone, I heard our adoption counselor say those magical words "I have a situation to discuss with you..." I took her advice and pulled over at the next exit. From then on it's kind of a blur...!

Our counselor explained that there is a birth mom interested in us. And she's due Thursday. Thursday as in five-days-from-that-very-moment Thursday. Our counselor gave us some information about the birth mom's situation. I took very detailed notes... on a Chipotle napkin! The birth mom wanted to meet us as soon as possible, considering she could go into labor at any moment!

I hung up and talked a mile a minute, trying to fill Jonathan in on everything I had been told. The plan was for our counselor to pass our contact info along to the birth mom so she could call us directly and set up a meeting. Meanwhile, we are two hours away from home with a car bursting at the seams with camping gear! We decided to wait to set up our tent until we heard from the birth mom. If she wanted to meet that day, you better believe we'd turn right around and head back to the Cities!

We shared the news with our friends and anxiously awaited the call. Jonathan and I decided to take Cody for a swim at the lake while we waited for the phone to ring. While Cody swam and Jonathan threw the ball again and again, I spoke with the woman who is making our dream come true! She sounded incredibly sweet and excited to meet with us. (SHE'S excited to meet US?! If only she knew that we would move heaven and earth to be wherever she needed us to be!) We set a time and place to meet for dinner the next day. After I hung up the phone, Jonathan and I just stared at each other. Could this really be it?! We walked along that lake in a daze. An excited daze, but definitely a daze!

Something tells me that Moose Lake Campground is going to hold a very special place in our hearts!

3 comments:

Kristi B said...

Beautiful story! Love the Chipotle napkin bit :-) I'm praying hard this works out for you guys!!!!

Me said...

I got goose bumps reading your post. I'm so happy for you. That camp ground will always be special. Good luck - you're in my thoughts! I can't wait to hear more, soon!!!

Kels said...

Looking forward to part two--not to mention the final chapter when you bring your baby boy home! It's a super good idea to write all of this down, because sleep deprivation can make the details quite hazy!