Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wise Words

I'm about to share the best parenting advice I have gotten so far. (And no, it's not "sleep when the baby sleeps.")

Melissa has been my best friend since the days before lockers, bras, and contact lenses. Our friendship has grown and changed with us from the awkward middle school days through high school, separate colleges, marriages, homes two states away, a doctorate (hers, not mine=), and now children. I love her.

She was in town a few weeks ago and we spent a wonderful day together. At one point, we were talking about advice the doctor had given me regarding developing good sleep habits for Isaac... "Put him down while he's still drowsy." I was saying that I couldn't picture that working for him at that time. She said, "And the thing is, some days it will work and some days it won't."

That simple statement, not even meant to be "advice," has stayed with me ever since and has been a huge comfort for me more times than I can count. Not just about sleep, but about everything. Having that perspective has helped me let go of some of the panic or helplessness I feel when things aren't picture perfect. If Isaac is screaming and nothing I do is helping... it's not because I'm failing him as a mom and it's also not a sign that every day is going to be like that. It's just... some days it works and some days it doesn't.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

What a wise woman! That has continued to hold true for us--Lydia sometimes has weird fluke days when she is just off, just like we all do. I've got a lot better at not panicking and projecting the bad days into the future, but it's hard!

My favorite saying that I hold to is "This too shall pass," both for good things and bad things. It helps me tolerate the frustrating moments and appreciate the great ones. :)

Anonymous said...

Melissa is a wonderful gal, I wish we all got to hang out with her more!
Before Lars was born, someone gave us similar advice: "Having a baby is like solving a puzzle every day, & every day the solution is different." Somehow, this wording isn't quite as comforting as the way Melissa put it, but the point is the same.
-Betsy

Anonymous said...

You are so stinkin' sweet=) You are doing such an amazing job at this whole mom thing, I don't think any "advice" is needed=)
There are nights when Anders sleeps through the night and I think, "OH! We have to do the EXACT SAME THING as last night...same jammies, same bottle, same blanket" And, I fall on my face and am up all night.
They change their little routines so fast, I can't keep up.
Love you guys...and here's another piece of advice that has stuck with me lately...
Pee is sterile
Put that one in your good advice bank=)
-Melis