Friday, April 9, 2010

A Call

A few weeks back, my phone rang as I was getting my kids on the bus. I peeked at it to see who was calling. It was our adoption lawyer. Hmmm. One of the buses was late, so I had to wait a few minutes until I could listen to the voicemail. I was curious, because we didn't have any outstanding business with her and I couldn't figure out why she would contact us.

When the bus finally came and I was able to check my voicemail, I heard "Becky, I have a situation that I need to discuss with you. Please call me back as soon as you can."

A "situation?" That's code for "There's a birth mom interested in you"! Agh!

I scrolled through my contacts faster than I've ever scrolled before! For the next few minutes, I stood outside my school, dumbfounded, as she told me about an expectant mom who lives in Las Vegas. The birth mom's lawyer had contacted other professionals in their adoption network, trying to find adoptive parents for this woman's baby. Our lawyer sent our profile. Turns out, the mom in Las Vegas chose us. She chose us. To parent her baby.

The rest of the afternoon is a blur to me. I anxiously waited for an e-mail our lawyer promised me- a social and medical history of the birth mom. I must admit, I was not the most present and dedicated teacher for those next few hours.

That evening, Jonathan and I reviewed all the information we had and eventually decided that this situation was not right for us. There were several factors that made us feel uneasy. As we helped each other process everything, it became clear that it was not a good fit for us.

This was not a decision we made lightly. There is a real live baby involved. Due on August 21st. Crazy, huh? But we feel confident that we made the right decision for our family. And now we move forward.

Definitely made things interesting for awhile there... =)

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I am so impressed with the careful and reflective thought in which you two are going about this process!! Obviously, it's important to be careful and reflective, but I'm super impressed!!

Unknown said...

I agree with Laurie.
Love you guys.

Betsy said...

I ALSO agree. Never having gone through the adoption process, I feel like I'd be tempted to take the 1st baby offer I got, even if it wasn't a good fit for us. But I'm so very impressed that you guys are keeping the faith that the right baby will come along, even if you pass on situations like this one. You're staying true to yourself, which is a trait that I saw in you way back in Middlebrook.