Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pushing Boundaries

Here is something that Jonathan and I have found to be a bit ironic. The road that leads people to adoption can be deeply personal, sometimes even painful. But then, to make domestic adoption a reality, you must make your plan very, very PUBLIC. That has been a difficult shift for me to make!

We have been told over and over again by our agency, lawyer, and many adoption books that it is very important to engage in some sort of "outreach." This means letting the general population know WE WANT A BABY! Outreach can include anything from telling friends and family that you are hoping to adopt, to flying a banner over spring breakers in Fort Lauderdale. Our counselor said "Decide what you are comfortable with, and then push yourself a little bit further."

One of the things we decided to do was create adoption flyers. Here are what they look like:



Our plan is to hang these anywhere and everywhere! So far, we have papered the town of Farmington and the college campuses of St. Olaf and Gustavus. I thought that hanging flyers would be easy-peasy. Definitely not edgy or boundary-pushing for us.

Well, turns out it's HARD! Every time I talk to a store clerk or someone at a college residence hall, my heart beats fast, my palms get sweaty, and I have to give myself a little pep talk. It's silly, but I feel like I'm baring a little bit of my soul to these strangers. Overall, the reactions we have gotten from people have been very positive, so I'm getting more and more confident each time. That, and I've been telling myself to stop being such a little wuss! =)

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Kudos to you guys! I'm trying to picture myself going around to perfect strangers, saying "We're 'trying' to have a baby." HARD. But, keep reminding yourself that the end result (a baby) will be worth all the uncomfortable stuff you're having to do now.

Kelsey said...

At many points in my life, I've found that I need to find a way to cope outside of my comfort zone. What you're experiencing is a whole new level of this! I admire your brave spirit and positive attitude SO much. Good things will come your way! :)