Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Friendly FedEx Man

As you all know, we are... (drumroll please)... "In the Book!" The birth parent letter we designed to go into the waiting families book is on a double-sided 11x17 piece of paper. This is much too complicated and much too important to do on our little printer at home, so I headed to FedEx Kinkos.

When I gave the man behind the counter our jump drive, I directed him to the correct document which was in a folder labeled "Adoption." He went to warm up the printer and came back to chat. "So," he said. "What made you want to adopt? Have you always just felt it in here?" He patted his heart.

I had to smile, because he seemed so earnest and had no clue that this is a very personal question that one probably shouldn't ask a stranger! A million thoughts went through my head during that split second. Do I explain about my infertility? Do I really want to say the word "uterus" out loud to a man I've never met? But if I say "That's how we plan to build our family," it sounds so vague and evasive...

So I said "I'm not able to get pregnant, so adoption is the way that we're going to build our family." Too much information? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not sure.

PS- Because the copier wasn't working and I had to stand there for 55 minutes, he and I went on to have a very in-depth conversation about adoption. When I left my jump drive there and had to go pick it up a few hours later, it was sitting behind the counter with a note attached to it: "Jonathan and Becky, parents to be!" It was a strange, but nice encounter with a strange, but nice man. =)

5 comments:

Andi said...

He was rather bold to ask such a personal question. His heart was probably in the right place. Plus maybe he will mention it to someone who will mention it to someone, and you will make a connection to a birth mother. God works in mysterious ways.

Becky said...

I couldn't agree more, Andi!

Kelsey said...

In the book! In the book! In the book! YAAAAAAY!

Kelsey said...

In the book! In the book! In the book! YAAAAAAY!

Betsy said...

You know, all the Fed Ex people I've ever encountered were particularly chatty & friendly. There were several "regulars" who'd come in when I worked at the office. That must be a requirement.

Also, I love Andi's spin on your experience, and I completely agree. I'd say, the more people (even weirdos) who know you're looking for a baby, the better!