Friday, July 4, 2008

"Why Adoption?"

Why are we adopting? Well. Selfish reasons, really. We want kids! From the drool and the diapers to the giggles and the tears. We want it all!

That's why we're adopting. To add to our family. I do know, though, that when people say "why adoption?" that's not exactly the answer they're looking for. Every adopting couple has a story about why adoption will be the way that they form their family. Here's ours.

When I was 16, I still had not had my period yet. Up until that point, it hadn't been a major concern because I was physically active and my older sisters had gotten their periods relatively late as well. However, 16 is more than a little late, so we decided to get it checked out.

Several vials of blood, a few exams, and one MRI later the doctors discovered that I was born without a uterus. It is just plain missing. So, since the uterus plays a fairly important role in carrying a child, it was clear that I would never be able to get pregnant. Jonathan has known this since the beginning of our relationship and has been nothing but accepting, loving, and supportive.

That's the very (very) short version of our answer to "why adoption?" Am I sometimes jealous of the beautiful pregnant women in my life? Yes. Do I grieve the fact that I will never be able to feel life growing inside of me? Of course.

One thing I do know, though, is that my life so far has turned out to be so much more than I could have possibly imagined or even known to wish for. Why should this be any different? Here we go...! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just soaked up your ENTIRE little blog in one sitting. I must say, I love you guys...both of you. Whew. And, I don't think Cooper Knutsen sounds bad, actually it's pretty cute. -Melissa

leah @maritalbless said...

Hi! I made the jump from Kelsey's blog, I hope you don't mind the intrusion.

I love your attitude towards adoption and how supportive you hubby is. You're right, there's absolutely no reason why on this next adventure, that it can't far surpass all of your expectations! :)