Monday, July 14, 2008

Nanny Lesson #3: Enjoy the... detour?

There we were, in a mess of construction and traffic, trying to find our way to the Children's Museum. When I realized there was a detour for the road we were about to get on, I must have said something that showed my disappointment.

(No, it did not consist of four letter words! I'm a teacher. I have lots of practice voicing my frustration in creative and appropriate ways.)

The older girl said "What's wrong?" and I explained that the road we were supposed to take to get to the museum was closed, so we needed to find a different way. Meanwhile, I'm all wound up inside because I don't know this part of the city AT ALL and all I have are very specific Mapquest directions which are now useless and traffic is horrendous and those stupid orange cones are way too far into my lane and if we don't get there soon we won't have much time to enjoy the museum because if I don't get this four year old home in time for her nap things will not be pretty and...

The older girl looked out the window and sighed dreamily. She said, "I love going different ways to places. I get to see so many new things!"

Amen to that.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Wow... a child's perspective can really be a blessing, can't it?

Can I take her with me to work?