Thursday, June 26, 2008

Our house is very, very sad

Jonathan and I have decided that our house is doing everything possible to sabotage our plan to move. Here's the evidence, decide for yourself.

A couple weeks ago: We met with our realtor and decided to put our house on the market.

A few days later, we realize that the (only) big tree in our front yard has mysteriously died. And not gradually, like you would imagine a tree would. Nope. Not even one scraggly leaf made it out alive.

Fast forward to last night (Wednesday): Our first showing (!!) is scheduled for tonight (Thursday), so we spent the evening cleaning, mowing the lawn, etc. A couple unexpected things happened.

1. I discovered that the kitchen floor was basically submerged under cold water. Hmm. After looking around a bit, we discoverd that every single thing under the sink was SOAKED. Drenched. Sopping wet. (Turns out, there was a broken piece of piping attached to where the dishwasher water drains from. Water had sprayed everywhere.)

2. A bit later, I'm vacumming and all of a sudden, the lights go out and the vaccuum stops. I must have overloaded the circuit. No big deal, right? Jonathan goes to flip the switch on the circuit breaker, and it won't go to the on position! He tries lots of things, but it just won't work. So now Jonathan has to try to fix the broken sink in the dark. At 11:45 pm.

The next morning: I'm getting ready to leave the house and I notice that the water in the toilet is completely brown. We keep flushing and it stays as brown as can be. Flush, flush, flush, brown, brown, brown. I lift up the cover to the tank and the walls of the tank are covered with thick brown slimeyness. (Gross, I know) All I can think is... REALLY?! Why now?!

See what I mean? The only possible explanation is that our house loves us very much and is going to do everything in its power to keep us there. Well, House, we love you too but you're not really helping your case here.

(The story does end well for now, though. Jonathan, my hero, my super handy husband, fixed the water pipe and changed out the switch in the circuit breaker for a new one. Viola! Dry kitchen and electricity! As for the toilet, I scrubbed the tank and the water now runs clear. Bring on the potential buyers!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES!!!!! How stressful! (and GO Jonathan!)

Rachel said...

Seems kind of Twilight Zone-ish!?!