Sunday, July 10, 2011

One Year Ago

One year ago today, Jonathan and I innocently thought we were headed north for a plain old camping trip. We had no clue that our lives were about about to change forever. (Yes, I know that sounds dramatic, but yes, it WAS dramatic!)

It was probably around 10 or 11 am when my phone rang and our adoption counselor said "You're going to want to pull over..."

What do I remember about that day? I remember the parking space we chose at the gas station we stopped at while I spoke with our adoption counselor. I remember the numb, tamped-down excitement, out-of-body feeling I had when we told our friends why we weren't setting up our tent. I remember standing on the lakeside trail, dialing Lexie's number for the first time. I remember Jonathan pacing back and forth on the dock, calling his mom with the news. I remember watching a little family flip their canoe and fall in the lake while we were standing there, taking turns calling our parents. I remember thinking, "Pay attention to everything, because this could be the beginning of your baby's adoption story." And it was.

These past few weeks have left me feeling very sentimental as Isaac's one year birthday approaches. Please forgive me if the next few posts are particularly sappy.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Sap away. Your family's story is a great one.

Rachel said...

LOVE IT. Aren't those tiny details just the best? The things you'll never forget about the beginning of your story as a family of 3 :)

Kelsey said...

You give me goosebumps. I love you all, and I love your story.

Lexie said...

I also have been thinking back to last year.. It doesn't seem like its been a year yet... I have been reading up on your blog. I love reading everything. I remember the first time you called me. You were ready to head home that day if I wanted to meet up that weekend, and me telling you to enjoy the trip. I was nervous and excited all at the same time. Even from the first time we met I felt like these are the ones. It was a blessing that I was able to find such loving parents for Isaac. Thank you so much for all the wonderful pictures, updates, visits and for everything. Words can never express how happy I am that everything has worked out this way. I still cry once in a while, but its never because I am sad anymore, its because I am so happy with the way things have turned out for us. Thank you for sharing this blog with me and my family.