Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hmmm

Thanks to longer days, warmer weather, and an older baby that doesn't need an evening nap (correction: doesn't TAKE an evening nap), we manage to get to the dog park a bit more these days. Thursday was gorgeous, so Isaac, Cody, and I loaded into the Rav4 after work and headed to the park. I caught up with a mom about my age pushing her toddler in a stroller and we ended up walking together and chatting. She's pregnant with her second child, so when the conversation turned to pregnancy, labor, etc, it came up that we adopted Isaac. She says "Oh! I really want a girl, so if this baby isn't a girl, then I want to adopt to make SURE that we get a girl."

Sigh.

We were having such a nice conversation. Why'd she have to say something like that? The comment irritated me then and irritates me now, even though I keep trying to remind myself, it's just her ignorance talking. She hasn't had any exposure to adoption. It was a completely innocent comment with no harm meant. But still! To make it sound like adoption is the equivalent of standing at the meat counter, scanning the pork chops for the perfect cut, and telling the butcher "I'd like that one please."

She just doesn't know. She doesn't know and how do I explain the complexities... the heart-break of taking your baby away from the only person he's ever known, the indescribable joy of suddenly being a mommy, the way you thank God every day for bringing your baby's birth family into your life, the relationship building and maintenance with your baby's birth family... So I don't. Because it's just a conversation at the dog park.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

It may be a conversation at the dog park, but your story has touched so many people, including Robin and me. I feel like we know so much more about adoption because of what you've shared through this blog, and I am so grateful that you are willing to let us in on your family's journey. I know I have already passed your blog on to friends who are hoping to adopt within the next two years, and I'm sure we'll do the same for others in the future!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

Beautifully written. Thank you! :-)