Friday, April 25, 2008

"How Many Children Do You Want to Adopt?"

This was a question that was posted on one of the forums that I sometimes (okay, OFTEN!=) read. I was surprised to see that the most common answer seemed to be FOUR!

Before seeing this question posed to other adoptive parents, I had never given it much thought. I haven't really let myself consider how many children I want because I assumed that the reality would be that we'll have one child (two at the absolute most!) because of the cost and other hurdles involved.

Seeing all those posts that said things like "Well, we already have three, and we're officially waiting to adopt a fourth...." or "We thought we'd have one, but here we are with three!" was sort of... empowering! =) I still have no idea how many kids we want, but just knowing that there are large adoptive families out there feels good.

So Jonathan, if you're reading this, what do you say? Six? Maybe seven?

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

This is a good example of how a blog can help me understand what this process is like for you. I naively assumed that *everyone* can ask the question, "How many kids do I want?"

I always figured you and Jonathan would go for two or three... You know, so the 8-hour car rides to Freda could be REALLY interesting, and so you could see EVERY bathroom and rest stop along the way. :)

Keep writing, Becky!

Ron said...

My Beautiful daughter and my favorite son-in-law with their family in Freda... Now that is HEAVEN!

Love,

Dad

Jake and Emily said...

You know what? Once you have that baby in your arms, you forget "all those hurdles" that it took to get you there, and it just becomes "part of your story" and you think "Yes, 2 or 4 or 12 would be a good number!"

Our little man is almost 4 months & we're already thinking of updating our homestudy at 6 months so we can jump back in the pool! :)

Good luck on your journey!